Re: libinput support in Eamcs?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: libinput support in Eamcs?
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2018 11:44:18 -0400

> And this is really low-level, so we'd have to write higher-level
> function to translate this all to sensible events.

I don't think Emacs should be in the business of translating low-level
touch events into meaningful higher-level ones (especially if that
means having to be in the `input` group).  This seems to be a hack that
can work now but is inconvenient and will have to be replaced by
something else in the foreseeable future.

So I'd rather we concentrate on an approach that has a chance to work
without special privilege, leverages other people's code to extract
high-level events from the low-level ones, and doesn't come with
a predictable death-date.  Even if that means it's something that
currently only works if you install the right combination of bleeding
edge software.

        Stefan