Re: mercurial, commit msg after merge and vc-dir a problem/feature propo

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: mercurial, commit msg after merge and vc-dir a problem/feature proposal
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2018 00:06:02 +0300

On 8/4/18 11:34 AM, Uwe Brauer wrote:

In a nutshell, could the emacs vc interface please support to commit
after a merge?

Hopefully it could, but that sounds non-trivial.

TBH I don't understand the reasons for your workflow, though. At least over here in Git land, we separate merge commits and "normal" ones.

And only the "normal" ones get expanded message entries.

Background

In mercurial after a merge of two (named) branch one cannot run

  hg commit -m 'merge from live' files1.txt files2.txt

abort: cannot partially commit a merge (do not specify files or
patterns)

But must do instead

hg commit -m 'merge from live'

Now the point is I would like to use the vc emacs interface for the
commit since I want to insert parts of the ChangeLog file.

IOW, I've never seen anybody do that with a merge commit.