Re: New warnings on emacs-26 branch with gcc 8.2.0

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: New warnings on emacs-26 branch with gcc 8.2.0
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2018 12:23:28 -0700

Andy Moreton wrote:
Using the manywarnings module still requires emacs to add new warnings to
the nw list every time gcc is upgraded, so I don't think that is less
work.

That work is automated by the admin/merge-gnulib script. So it is less work.

It woudl surely be simpler to use _Wall -Wextra and a limited number of
additional warnings that know to be useful

That's how we did things originally, and it was more work that way, because it meant each project had to track every new GCC warning that might be useful for that project. It's less work overall if we rely on Gnulib's module, which grabs almost all GCC warnings (except those that don't seem to be useful in any GNU project), and then let each project filter out the relatively few ones that it doesn't want.

There is no perfect solution here, but we tried it the way you're suggesting and it was more work than what we're doing now.