Re: Some developement questions

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Some developement questions
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2018 16:44:01 +0300

> From: hw <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2018 22:52:40 +0200
>
> The whole section about the --tramp-prefix= option confused me.

It has an example, which should have cleared up things.  However, I'm
not yet convinced that option is for your use case, because I don't
yet understand your use case well enough.

> I have menu and toolbar disabled ...

Unless you loathe the mouse, C-mouse-3 will pop up the same menu as
the one that would have been available from the menu bar.

> I ended up getting stuck in the help documentation of info and
> actually had to kill the buffer to be able to start over because I
> couldn't get anywhere else from there.

Typing 'q' (for "quit") would have been a better and easier way out.
But there's nothing wrong with killing the Info buffer, either.

> >> And what file is there to access when I want an X frame?
> >
> > When you invoke emacsclient, you usually ask it to visit a file,
> > right?
>
> Wrong; the files are usually already loaded, either because Emacs keeps
> running on the server, or because desktop-mode has already restored
> them.

That's irrelevant, because eventually you'd want to access files.
That's what Emacs is for, right?

> I'd like to use the Emacs server that runs remotely on the server from
> my workstation with an emacsclient running locally on the workstation
> directly without X11 forwarding via ssh for the frames, and I'd like to
> be able to also use 'emacsclient -nw' on the workstation, using the
> emacs server on the server.

Is this a single use case or two separate ones?

Assuming they are separate: for the first one, is using the -dDISPLAY
option (without any client) what you want?  And for the second, did
you try using server-use-tcp?

> I understand that the Emacs server can not open the virtual terminal
> when using 'emacsclient -nw' because from its perspective, that is a
> remote file.

I'm afraid I don't understand why you need to run "emacsclient -nw" on
another machine.  Why not remotely login and run emacsclient there?