Re: scratch/list-threads 833a2d4 2/9: Make lisp/thread.el the new home f

From: Gemini Lasswell
Subject: Re: scratch/list-threads 833a2d4 2/9: Make lisp/thread.el the new home for thread-related Lisp functions
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2018 17:57:40 -0700

> We have now src/thread.c and lisp/emacs-lisp/thread.el. The former
> provides the feature `threads' (if Emacs is compiles with thread
> support), the latter the feature `thread'.
>
> Confusing.

Hi Michael,

Other pairs of C and Lisp files share the same name without confusion,
so the confusing bit is the feature `threads' that thread.c provides.

That made me wonder why thread.c needs to provide `threads', so I looked
at the history of that file and found that you were the one who added it
(3744fda5fa), apparently in order to be able to skip tests if Emacs is
built --without-threads.

It seems to me that (bound-and-true-p main-thread) would work as a
substitute for (featurep 'threads) in the skip-unless forms in the
thread tests.  Can you think of a reason why it wouldn't?

Gemini