Re: Some developement questions

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Some developement questions
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2018 01:01:19 +0300

>> It's important to understand that changes which would make life easier
>> for you may well be making life harder for existing users.  Changing
>> established key bindings (which have been in muscle memory of many
>> users for literal decades) is a big deal.
>
> Yes, I'm not suggesting to remove existing key bindings for this, only
> to add Alt+left and Alt+right to go back and forth in info buffers.

It's so unfortunate that due to historical reasons we can't provide
intuitive and convenient keys for Info navigation <M-left> and <M-right>.
Long time ago I configured to use Mozilla-like navigation where <M-left>
goes back in history, but <M-right> goes forward in history unless
point is on a link in which case it visits the link.  And like in
Lynx-like navigation, <M-down> and <M-up> move point to the next/prev
link, and when there are no visible links on the page, scroll to next/prev
page.  Maybe as some packages like windmove allow customization
of modifiers for their keys, Info navigation keys could be provided
with a different modifier like <S-left> and <S-right>?

> Users may prefer reading documentation in a web browser for at least two
> reasons: Navigation is easier, and the browser can have Tabs.  This is
> kinda only one reason, but can Emacs have Tabs?
>
> If Emacs can have Tabs and show its documentation with all the ease a
> web browser can, life would be much easier for many users.

Do you mean frame-local or window-local tabs?  Frame-local tabs are now
easier to implement since we have side windows, but I'm still not sure how
a side window can be created above an individual window to contain its
window-local tabbar?