Re: Some developement questions

From: hw
Subject: Re: Some developement questions
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2018 17:57:43 +0200

Radon Rosborough <address@hidden> writes:

>> Are you sure you notice a difference of 0.05 seconds?
>
> Yes, actually. I wouldn't notice a difference of 0.05 seconds in
> something that takes 2 seconds to run, but I certainly will in
> something that takes 0.5 seconds to run. That's 10%, after all.

Still the 10% are a really short time.

> There's also the fact that 0.5 seconds is such a short amount of time
> that I really can't go and do anything else with my brain while I'm
> waiting.

Just think about something else while starting Emacs :)

> [...]
>> I can just use Emacs in a tmux session and a terminal, connecting
>> with ssh to the server.
>
> If you are using emacsclient, then I am pretty sure you are using the
> Emacs server.

yes

> The server does not have to be headless -- you can start it from an
> otherwise normal Emacs instance.

I know, yet I would like to use it remotely.

> [...]
>> ssh -Y server
>> emacsclient -nc
>> emacsclient -nw
>>
>> How is this difficult?
>
> In my experience, my color theme is totally broken when I connect to a
> graphical Emacs server with a tty client, although it works fine in
> both graphical and tty Emacs instances individually. That is what I
> was referring to.

Interesting, I was having the problem that the frames didn't get updated
correctly when creating them, using a remote Emacs server.  Yesterday,
the frame remained unresponsive, so I created another one, but it was
also unresponsive and I destroyed the windows.  When I tried to create
another frame, the Emacs daemon crashed.

> I know of at least one other person who has extensive Emacs experience
> who does not know how to work around this problem, so it does not
> appear to be trivial.

awww

>> no fair comparison when you can't let it run
>
> I am sorry but I do not understand this sentence.

If I could use an Emacs server remotely, the Emacs server would run on
my server which runs all the time.  You can't let Emacs run all the time
because you change the configuration all the time.  There is no fair
comparison of startup times in such a case.

>> How do you even measure such tiny amounts of time?
>
> With the time utility supported by most shells.

Then you still need to exit Emacs to do that, which screws off the
measurements.