Re: feature proposal? add-change-log-entry does not find the ChangeLog f

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: feature proposal? add-change-log-entry does not find the ChangeLog file: change-log-directory-files
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2018 12:11:58 -0500

Uwe Brauer <address@hidden> writes:
>My problem is, if I am in a subdirectory of my mercurial (or git)
>repository and run add-change-log-entry, does not open the ChangeLog
>file in the «root» directory but tries to open the none existing
>ChangeLog file in the current subdirectory, which I don't want.
>
>Any ideas how to deal with this situation?
>

>I tried to set
>
>,----
>[+]
>| change-log-directory-files is a variable defined in ‘add-log.el’.
>| Its value is (".bzr" ".git" "../.hg" ".hg" ".svn")
>| Original value was
>| (".bzr" ".git" ".hg" ".svn")
>`----
>
>Did not help. Is this feature not implemented? By this I mean: suppose
>in a directory under VC, there is only one ChangeLog file in the root
>directory, then if I call add-change-log-entry there is no way to tell
>emacs that he only looks for that file?

A simple proposal:

Have `add-change-log-entry' walk up the tree, starting from the current
directory, and use the first ChangeLog file found.  Most of the time, it'll be
in the root of the version-controlled tree, but for projects (like Emacs) that
have separate ChangeLogs in some subdirectories, the proper ChangeLog would
still be found.

When a project wants to start using a ChangeLog in a subdirectory, someone just
needs to manually initialize the ChangeLog there (creating it as an empty file
would be enough), and afterwards `add-change-log-entry' will do the right thing.

Thoughts?

Best regards,
-Karl