Re: delete-selection-mode as default

From: Jostein Kjønigsen
Subject: Re: delete-selection-mode as default
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2018 22:28:22 +0200

I realize Eli is a Emacs-vetaran and his opinion holds a lot of
weight here. That said....

> When a selection is active, why would anyone assume that typing an
> arbitrary letter is supposed to replace the entire selection, or to
> disable it?

Because that's what users expect after this having been the default
interaction model for all applications for more than 3 decades.

I realize Emacs is older than that, but trying to pretend that the
outside world haven't established a set of conventions people have
come to expect is pretty much being the ostrich sticking your head in
the sand.

Adhering to the conventions the user expect is user-friendly. We
should do that by default when it doesn't introduce needless
complexity (like arguably enabling cua-mode would).

That still leaves the option for power users, like yourself, to
customize the behaviour in non-conventional ways which you find
powerful.

I mean... I -love- paredit. It's amazing. But it clearly should not be
the *default* for editing LISP files, unless we want to throw
new-comers away before they've managed to say hello.

All in all, I vote for this change.

--
Regards
Jostein Kjønigsen