org-copy-visible does not work with x-select-enable-primary

From: Alain . Cochard
Subject: org-copy-visible does not work with x-select-enable-primary
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2018 14:15:27 +0200

Hello.  I already sent an email about this issue to
address@hidden  Nicolas Goaziou, one of the Org mode
developers, suggested to report to Emacs Devel instead because "Since
it works in some cases, it may not be related to Org."

The issue is also present with the development version of Org, but,
below, I assume no access to this development version and no knowledge
of Org.  I only assume an Emacs version with org-mode included (if I
understand well, any Emacs version >= 24.5.1 should do).

So here it is:

Using 'emacs -Q', visit or create a file with the '.org' extension
(say 'bug.org') with the following 2 lines:

* foo
bar

(As I am not fully sure this will be transmitted correctly, let me
specify: the 1st line is '* foo', the 2nd line is 'bar'; there is no
indentation.)

With the cursor on the star, hitting repetitively the <TAB> key should
cycle between a state for which one sees all the content of the file,
and the so-called folded state where one only sees the line:

* foo...

Now, selecting the single line above, e.g., with the mouse, hitting
'C-c C-x v' (M-x org-copy-visible), then 'C-y' (M-x org-yank), should
yank '* foo'.

This is the normal behavior.  As far as I understand, there is no
reason this behavior should be affected by the variable
'x-select-enable-primary', but it it, at least for me.  A possible
test is to repeat the same experiment using 'emacs -Q -l .emacs.debug'
(instead of 'emacs -Q'), where the '.emacs.debug' file contains only
the line:

(setq x-select-enable-primary t)

In that case, for me, 'C-y' yanks both lines, instead of only
'foo...'.

I have tried with the following 2 versions of Emacs+Org (plus, as I
said, with the development version of Org instead of the bundled
ones):

Emacs : GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
3.18.9) of 2016-04-11 on buildvm-25.phx2.fedoraproject.org Package:
Org-mode version 8.2.10 (release_8.2.10 @
/usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/)

Emacs : GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
3.18.9) of 2018-05-30 Package: Org mode version 9.1.9
(release_9.1.9-65-g5e4542 @
/home/cochard/usr/local/emacs-26.1/lisp/org/)

Regards

--
EOST (École et Observatoire des Sciences de la Terre)
IPG (Institut de Physique du Globe) | address@hidden