Re: delete-selection-mode as default (WAS: Some developement questions)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: delete-selection-mode as default (WAS: Some developement questions)
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2018 10:48:11 +0300

> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden,
>       address@hidden, address@hidden,
>       address@hidden, address@hidden
> Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2018 00:22:18 -0400
>
> As for shift selection, that uses keyboard commands, so I think it is
> natural to treat them like other keyboard commands in this regard.
> But I don't use shift selection, so I would be inclined to follow the
> preferences of users that really do use shift selection.  I'd create
> a separate setting to control this case, then set the default based on
> their preferences.

Shift selection follows a feature of many applications out there, and
AFAIK they all behave with such selections as with mouse selections.
It is actually a more fine-grained selection mechanism, since mouse
selection frequently doesn't let you select partial words, or exclude
punctuation from the selection, at least not easily.

So I think we don't need a separate option for shift selection, it
already behaves like those who use it expect.