Re: delete-selection-mode as default

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: delete-selection-mode as default
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2018 14:03:33 +0000

Hello, Yuri.

On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 20:41:46 +0700, Yuri Khan wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 5:52 PM Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> wrote:

[ .... ]

> One other thing that I want is that the region be highlighted if and
> only if it is going to be the target of the next command I give,
> because I like to look before I leap. It seems transient-mark-mode is
> intended to give me this by adding the concept of active region and
> highlighting the region when it is active. However, many commands act
> on the region even if it is inactive. kill-region and
> copy-region-as-kill are two such commands.

You don't mention setting mark-even-if-inactive to nil.  Have you tried
this, and if so, what problems still remain with this setting?

> I am sure there are many more, .....

[ .... ]

> I was one of two people here to suggest that it is a bad thing that
> the mark is used both as a navigation mechanism and as a region
> delimiter, but, in practice, it would not matter much if the above
> issue was addressed.

This categorisation of the mark as either for navigation or for a region
delimiter, if it happened, would have to be optional.  For me, this
"double" use is a plus.  For example, quite often I do things like M->,
C-w to kill from point to EOB.  At the same time, I have no use for
transient-mark-mode, which I disable.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).