Re: Auto-installing packages?

From: Perry E. Metzger
Subject: Re: Auto-installing packages?
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2018 11:52:02 -0400

On Thu, 13 Sep 2018 21:51:09 -0400 Stefan Monnier
<address@hidden> wrote:
> So, I'm wondering how we could better serve our users by providing
> them with an alternative solution to their underlying need, which
> hopefully suffers less from those problems.
>
> Maybe some way to have something along the line of autoloads but
> that instead of loading the Elisp code from a locally installed
> package, they prompt the user explaining that this functionality
> requires installing package FOO, etc?

That's not too bad. A couple of flavors of Linux have a feature at
the command line where if you run a common program that isn't
installed, it tells you what package will install it. This would be
comparable.

Perry
--
Perry E. Metzger                address@hidden