Re: delete-selection-mode as default

From: hw
Subject: Re: delete-selection-mode as default
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2018 15:48:10 +0200

Drew Adams <address@hidden> writes:

>> So there are a few things to note:
>>
>> + start and end marker of a selection do not need to be visible
>> + the selection is entirely independent from navigation
>> + the selection is persistent
>> + the start marker is being remembered after the selection has been used
>> + I can move, type and edit normally without endangering the selection
>>   as if it wasn't there
>
> Dunno what you mean by the 4th one. (Perhaps you mean that
> you can navigate back to it?)

It means it is much like the mark in Emacs in that is being remembered,
but without dragging the region about all the time.

You can navigate with both marks.

> But all of the others, at least, are true of the secondary selection.
> That's why I said that I think the sec. sel. is the closest thing
> Emacs has that corresponds to the behavior you expect.
>
>> The cursor is always visible in joe.  That doesn't mean that a selection
>> can not be persistent or that its end must always be visible.  This is
>> an Emacs problem because sticking to "the region" makes Emacs
>> inflexible.
>
> I meant that Emacs always has point as one end of the region,
> and because (like editors typically) the cursor is always visible
> on the screen, so the point end of the region is always on
> screen.
>
> There is no association between the secondary selection and
> point, so the entire sec. sel. can move off screen. And it is
> "persistent" in the sense I think you mean (as opposed persisting
> across Emacs sessions).

Oh, I see what you mean!

Emacs has point and (the end of) the region (selection) always entangled
with no way to separate them or to disable the region.  That is what I
dislike so much, and it causes all kinds of issues.

The secondary selection doesn't have all these problems, so it's a good
example.

Can we have a mode or something in which there is no association between
point and the end of the region?  Or can I just configure that
association away?