RE: delete-selection-mode as default

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: delete-selection-mode as default
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2018 10:42:21 -0700 (PDT)

> > What's the real use case for such temporary enabling/disabling of d-s-m?
> > And how is it different from just, well, enabling/disabling d-s-m?
>
> People who are against turning on delete-selection-mode presented
> several such use cases.

I don't think so. I think you just postulated it, without any example.
Did someone who is against using d-s-m actually say that s?he
wanted to use it temporarily (and without turning d-s-m on,
whatever that means)?

But I could be wrong - it's a long thread. Feel free to point us to
some mention by someone of such a use case. Or if that's not
possible, please remind us of (describe) such a case.

> > In any case, how do you envision enabling/disabling d-s-m as something
> > different from turning d-s-m on/off? If you want some key(s) to
> > enable/disable it, how is that different from just binding a key
> > (or keys) to `delete-selection-mode'?
>
> Why don't you ask the same question about transient-mark-mode?

Why do you think I should do that? What are you driving at?
I don't have such a question about t-m-m.

You seem to be proposing enabling/disabling d-s-m temporarily,
and I'm asking what you envision about that.

What's a use case for doing that, and how do you see someone
doing it (other than by hitting a key bound to d-s-m, for example)?

> My idea was to extend the feature of region activation, which
> would avoid the need for turning on and off the mode.

Why don't you please clarify that idea? What is it that you intend
for users to do, to enable/disable d-s-m "temporarily"? And how
is that different from (how does it "avoid") temporarily turning the
mode on/off?

Maybe I'm the only one who finds your proposal vague. I posted
my questions about it only after it seemed that Yuri had the same,
or similar questions. If you want me to understand - and I would
like to, please try to elaborate.