Re: Change of Lisp syntax for "fancy" quotes in Emacs 27?

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Change of Lisp syntax for "fancy" quotes in Emacs 27?
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2018 08:30:22 -0700

Noam Postavsky wrote:
deciding which characters are confusable and hence
require backslash escaping is based on a shifting mess of heuristics.

No more than the "shifting mess of heuristics" inevitable in any choice of syntax. Quite possibly the confusables list from the Unicode consortium will do. The list won't shift much once it's established.

We can start merely by warning about confusable characters and seeing how often those warnings are triggered in real (as opposed to malicious or purposely-tricky) code. If the warnings are quite rare, in a later Emacs version we can change the manual from "confusable characters should be escaped" to "confusable characters must be escaped".