Re: Setting arbitrary windows as frame's minibuffer

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Setting arbitrary windows as frame's minibuffer
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2018 08:20:05 +0200

> I would like to set an arbitrary window as the frame's minibuffer so
> that I may position the minibuffer adjacent to the focused window
> when it is invoked rather that at the bottom of the frame.

Here I'm doing that for a couple of months already.

> After removing the validation in frame.c
>
>              if (!MINI_WINDOW_P (XWINDOW (val)))
>                error ("The `minibuffer' parameter does not specify a valid
minibuffer window");

> I tried setting the frame's minibuffer with
>
>      (set-frame-parameter (selected-frame) 'minibuffer (selected-window))
>
> This works for the first minibuffer invocation. Unfortunately, once
> the minibuffer quits/closes Emacs becomes stuck trying to resize the
> window and the minibuffer visually migrates back to the bottom of
> the frame.

The behavior of non-separate minibuffer windows is hard-coded
in many places so this is no surprise.

> Given that minibuffer window can be placed in a separate frame, it
> seems to me this should not be difficult. Am I missing something
> simple that would permit arbitrary minibuffer positioning?

Have a look at the patch attached to

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2018-08/msg00012.html

and you should have an overview of what you are missing.

martin