Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 7cfe2dc: In edebug in GUIs, move focus to the s

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 7cfe2dc: In edebug in GUIs, move focus to the selected frame.
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2018 19:50:37 +0000

Hello, Davis.

On Fri, Oct 19, 2018 at 13:39:09 -0600, Davis Herring wrote:
> > Most Emacs users restrict themselves to just one frame?  Ouch!  I
> > couldn't work like that!

> I don't pretend to know the general statistics, but my Emacs sessions
> (not counting the occasional short-lived instance) typically have two
> or three frames, but no more.  In a windowed Emacs, I find it
> counterproductive to have more than will (along with terminals and so
> forth) tile the screen, since they tend to fight over buffers and I
> have to go hunting.  In a terminal, I'm instead limited by how many
> window configurations I can keep in my head (but it's about the same
> number).

I tend frequently to go up to 8 or 9 frames on a tty, with one "big" file
(such as cc-engine.el) in follow-mode per frame, or two or three "small"
buffers (such as test files, *Help*, *Occur*) in other frames.  I have no
trouble maintaining a mental map of what's where, and I use the function
keys F1 - F11 to switch instantly to any frame F1 - F11.

When I need to work in a GUI, I tend to have fewer frames, each one
occupying almost the entire screen area, and still switching between them
with the function keys.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).