Re: Thoughts on getting correct line numbers in the byte compiler's warn

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Thoughts on getting correct line numbers in the byte compiler's warning messages
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2018 18:45:00 -0400

> The third idea is to amend the reader so that whereas it now produces a
> form, in a byte compiler special mode, it would produce the cons (form .
> offset).  So, for example, the text "(not a)" currently gets read into

Sounds good.  I have the vague feeling that I mentioned it already, but
in case I haven't: please make sure the positions are character-precise
rather than line-precise, so that we can (eventually) ditch Edebug's
Elisp-reimplementation-of-the-reader which returns the same kind of info
(and needs character-precise location info).

        Stefan