Re: [found the culprit]

From: Van L
Subject: Re: [found the culprit]
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2018 17:45:43 +1100

>> AFAICT Emacs has unpacked .tar.gz when asked to uncompress them for many
>> years and noone has complained about it so far.
>
> This discussion has exlained so many problems I have been having with Z on
> tar files.  No i did not complain but thought i must have mistyped something
> or put a thimbpalm on the bl**dy track pad, and so I avoid usung emacs for
> some things I used to do.

I don’t use the feature; but, if I am going to, in a situation where I know I
won’t run out of storage space, I’d want to save on time and be quick and
default to the one step to tar and back. I’d only want to consider the two step
to tar.gz and back at 80% of storage consumed or I intend to send a sizeable
copy across the net to save time.