Re: [found the culprit]

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [found the culprit]
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2018 18:01:27 -0500

  > I can't speak for Richard, but my response to
  > your question would be that if, as in the case
  > of zip, there is _no distinction_, then we need
  > not distinguish.  We can just do what we do now:
  > perform that atomic action.

Uncompression produces one file which corresponds to the original
file.  You can type Z again and recompress it.

Unpacking one archive file can result in multiple files.
It is misleading semantically to identify this with uncompression.

A Dired command to unpack an archive might lead to confusing results,
because the unpacked files might be outside the directory you are
operating on.

I do not see how to support packing an archive in Dired, because I do
not see a clean and simple way to specify which files to put in it.

--
Dr Richard Stallman