Re: scratch/accurate-warning-pos: Solid progress: the branch now bootstr

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: scratch/accurate-warning-pos: Solid progress: the branch now bootstraps.
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2018 17:24:29 +0000

Hello, Gemini.

On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 17:06:52 +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> When I compile doctor.el with (time-it (byte-compile-file
> ".../play/doctor.el")), I see a slow down of 9.9%, which is surprisingly
> little, given how much extra processing is involved when
> symbols-with-positions-enabled is bound to non-nil.

> Compiling a single function from that file, you see a 24% slowdown (if I
> remember the figures correctly).  There's some explaining to do there to
> account for the difference between what we see.

> My machine is a desktop with an AMD Ryzen processor, and I run Gentoo
> GNU/Linux.  Maybe the processor architecture accounts for some of the
> difference.

I'll take that back.  On the first run of byte-compile-file (on master),
the file had to fetched from a drive.  On the second run (on the branch)
it would already have been in cache.

When I repeated the exercise, I saw a 21% slowdown, the same as what you
saw, to within measurement error.

It shows just how careful one must be.

Sorry about this mistake.

--