Re: etc/HELLO markup etc.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: etc/HELLO markup etc.
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2018 09:33:41 +0200

> From: Van L <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2018 16:32:26 +1100
>
> >> Although the etc/HELLO markup might be of interest to those who care about
> >> annotating languages in the text, it's irrelevant to the ordinary purpose
> >> of
> >> that file, which is to show textual translations of "Helloā€¯
>
> > That's not the original purpose of that file. The purpose is to show
> > scripts,
> > not languages, and to show how we display different scripts in the same
> > buffer.
>
> The descriptive text accompanying (view-hello-file) says the following,
> which needs to swap scripts for languages where that is.
>
> : Display the HELLO file, which lists many languages and characters.

I'm not sure.  This discussion has been very technical, and presumably
the participants are well aware of what a script is, in this context.
By contrast, a random reader of the doc string doesn't necessarily
know what a script is.  Saying "many languages and characters" is
vaguely similar, while using only terminology most people understand.