Re: open-{gnutls,network}-stream backwards compatibility

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: open-{gnutls,network}-stream backwards compatibility
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2019 19:18:26 +0000

On Wed, 02 Jan 2019 20:30:22 +0200 Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

>> From: Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden>

>> I like that approach as well, noting also that the `open-gnutls-stream' docs
>> say
>>
>> This is a very simple wrapper around `gnutls-negotiate'
>>
>> which in turn takes a plist. So maybe the callers should just call
>> `gnutls-negotiate', and `open-gnutls-stream' should be deprecated
>> because it has failed to be a simple wrapper :)

EZ> If we can make the change backward-compatible, there's no reason to
EZ> deprecate it.

As the author, I think there is: the function is used in one place and
doesn't fit the use cases well. All the existing usage goes through
`open-network-stream'. So it's a layer of indirection with one user,
that removes API features in a way that's hard to work around. I think
it's better to remove the source of the problem than to patch it.

Ted