Re: open-{gnutls,network}-stream backwards compatibility

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: open-{gnutls,network}-stream backwards compatibility
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2019 12:15:21 +0100

Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:

> EZ> Deprecation is a nuisance: it chatters when you compile code, it nags.
> EZ> We need a seriously good reason to impose that on unsuspecting users.
>
> There's only one user, is what I'm saying... `open-gnutls-stream' is
> just not that popular, fortunately. So we can just kill it and the end
> users won't notice.

Youʼre sure thereʼs no code outside Emacs using it? If so, I can just
change its signature with reckless abandon ;-)

> I'm OK with Robert's suggestion to leave it in place but unused as well.
> It's just that it seems like avoiding deprecation in name only.

True. And Iʼd have to add an almost identical copy of it with a
different name (or copy its contents into network-stream.el, which
would then gain a dependency on the internals of gnutls.el which Iʼd
rather avoid)

Robert