Re: project--completing-read-strict breaks ada-mode project completion t

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: project--completing-read-strict breaks ada-mode project completion table
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2019 05:04:40 +0300

On 18.01.2019 02:17, Stephen Leake wrote:
Stephen Leake <address@hidden> writes:

These are now in the ELPA master branch:

elpa/packages/ada-mode/ada-project.el
elpa/packages/ada-mode/env-package.el
elpa/packages/path-iterator/path-iterator.el
elpa/packages/uniquify-files/uniquify-files.el

Attached is an example project for emacs source to play with. To use it,
eval the following in emacs master *scratch* (adjust paths);

I've tried it out, and it's pretty nice. The latency seemed to be a bit bigger than with the default completion table based on 'find', but not significantly so.

path-iterator doesn't have to handle the contents of .gitignore, so it's not a huge surprise. If support is added, it's sure to become slower.

I don't think it can be *the* UI for everybody. Yeah, being able to type abbreviated names can be nice, but a lot of users will prefer full directories and fuzzy matching based on completion styles. Segregating by project types probably won't work well either.

There's a bug in path-iterator; I've set :ignore-function to ignore any
dir under ".git", but they are showing up anyway.
The first thing I've noticed, actually.