Re: what make-dist should include [was Re: Emacs pretest 26.1.91 is out]

From: Mike Kupfer
Subject: Re: what make-dist should include [was Re: Emacs pretest 26.1.91 is out]
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2019 17:08:47 -0800

Stefan Monnier wrote:

> > With MQ the workflow is pretty simple:
> >
> >   1- unpack the tarball
> >   2- create the repo and commit the unpacked files
> >   3- pull the patches from their repo
> >   4- apply the patches ("hg qpush -a")
> >   5- build
>
> [ The step 0 being "download the tarball".  ]
>
> Hmm... ignoring the issue of Mercurial -vs- Git, the equivalent using
> the VCS would be:
>
>     0- clone from the remote repository to a local "bare" repository.
>     1- clone from that local repository
>     2- do nothing
>     3- pull the patches from their repo
>     4- apply the patches
>     5- build

Yeah, if all I were doing was applying static patches, there would be
less benefit to using MQ.  But MQ helps with the tedium of managing a
patch repo as I refine the patches.  (And I'm probably biased, since
I've been using Mercurial for over 10 years, but I only started using
Git when Emacs moved to it.)

> (I've used Git to access Mercurial repositories and it works OK,
> but is significantly slower on large repositories, haven't tried the
> other direction).

Sometime a few years ago I used a Mercurial extension to access a Git
repo.  I had pretty much the same experience: it worked okay but was
kinda slow.  I don't know if that extension is still available or
maintained.

cheers,
mike