Re: some accept-process-output races fixed; Tramp FIXMEs

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: some accept-process-output races fixed; Tramp FIXMEs
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2019 19:58:05 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Eli,

>> At least this was the case 15+ years ago, and also supporting XEmacs. If
>> we could guarantee that (accept-process-output p) returns when either
>> output has arrived and or the process has finished, I could change the
>> code. This promise must be kept for all Emacs versions since 24, and for
>> all platforms, including w32.
>
> I don't know about XEmacs (is that still a concern in Tramp?), but in
> Emacs you can poll a process for output with accept-process-output
> like this:
>
>   (accept-process-output PROC 0)
>
> AFAICT, this worked in Emacs 24.1 as well.

XEmacs has gone for Tramp, two years ago. I will check whether this
works for Tramp, but it must wait a little bit. These days I'm concerned
about the smb method. Recent smbclient, with all combinations of
SMB1/SMB2/SMB3 protocol versions, client and server, is a disaster for
Tramp. I must puzzle this out, somehow.

After that, I will see what I can do with accept-process-output.
Avoiding timeouts promises speedup. Let's see.

Best regards, Michael.