Re: Finding the dump

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Finding the dump
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2019 20:13:11 -0800

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
I plan to look
into the possibility of putting the dump file inside the executable (portably,
of course) so that Emacs startup needn't worry about finding the dump file. This
would be significantly better for installers and users.
I very much doubt that you could do that portably, let alone allow
repeated dumping after the initial one.

For repeated dumping without a C compiler present, we'd need to stick to something like the current approach. But hardly anybody needs repeated dumping, and those who do typically have a C compiler available, so the approach that I'm thinking of should work for the vast majority of real-world cases.

I really don't see why we should waste our energy on making the Emacs
package one file less (out of 3000 it already has).

This particular file is a bigger deal than the rest because Emacs cannot run without it. Emacs can run without all those other 3000 files.

It certainly isn't a "hassle".

It's already been a hassle for us, as seen in this thread. It will be a hassle for installers and maintainers too. The separate file also slows down startup compared to the approach I have in mind.

But you're the maintainer, so if you are opposed to the idea I'll drop it.