Re: Package proposal: greader, an audio emacs reader for blind and disle

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: Package proposal: greader, an audio emacs reader for blind and dislexic people
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2019 03:06:58 +0100

Tim Cross <address@hidden> writes:

> speechd.el is not part of core emacs and therefore is not in the GNU
> ELPA repository. It is GPL'd. With something like the package you are
> suggesting, you are probably best off developing it as a separate
> project and once it becomes mature, see what interest there is in
> having it moved into becoming part of the Emacs project. I suspect
> this is unlikely as it isn't core Emacs functionality, but you never
> know. Of course, that doesn't mean it cannot be a GNU project.
>
> BTW, you may want to choose a different name from greader - there have
> been packages in the past called greader, which were interfaces to the
> old Google Reader RSS interface.

I think you are confusing me with Michelangelo, I'm someone else.

I don't know much about the matter, but I wanted to understand why you
rejected the suggested package and why no one else commented.

Maybe it would help us who aren't that familiar with the matter if
Michelangelo could post his suggested package, or a link to it, so that
we know what we speak about.

BTW I had the impression that you objected that Michelangelos package
doesn't use speech-dispatcher, but AFAIU he told that it does.

Anyway, if we haven't something like this yet in Gnu Elpa, if it's
useful, why not add it there.  I didn't mean to add it to the core
distribution of course.

Michael.