Re: [RFC]: replace-region-contents

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [RFC]: replace-region-contents
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2019 18:19:13 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> I just became aware of the fact that we cannot use
>> `replace-buffer-contents' in its current state if the replacement is
>> too large.  It becomes unbearable slow.
>
> In what version of Emacs?  I think it was slow in 26.1, but wa ssped
> up significantly since then.

Master as of today.

> If you are using emacs-26 or the master branch from Git, and it is
> still slow, can you show an example where it's slow, and tell how much
> time it took?

I prepared a tar.xz with a synthetic, huge, one-line JSON file generated
by https://next.json-generator.com and a lisp file benchmarking the
current against my proposed version of `json-pretty-print'.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1kKahq3csBVXWL-nN1-eMhgDctGWBN1AR

Bye,
Tassilo