Re: modern regexes in emacs

From: Philippe Vaucher
Subject: Re: modern regexes in emacs
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2019 18:20:32 +0100

On Sun, Jun 17, 2018 at 12:32 AM Jay Kamat <address@hidden> wrote:
Perry E. Metzger writes:

> I think, someday, it would be nice if users could select modern
> regex syntax instead of the very very old-fashioned and awkward Emacs
> regex syntax. The old syntax and functions that implement it need to
> be kept around for legacy reasons, but one could easily set up a set
> of parallel new functions that used modern PCRE style syntax, and
> allow users to select those instead when doing things like
> isearching on regexps etc.

I just wanted to note that `rx' is in many cases much easier to write and
understand than even PCRE. I'd recommend learning and using `rx' if you are
annoyed about backslashes or readability.

I only remember the PCRE syntax that's why I use packages like `visual-regexp` and `pcre2el`, if emacs supported it natively that'd be a huge step forward for me.

Philippe