Re: Fill column indicator functionality

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Fill column indicator functionality
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2019 19:13:25 +0200

> Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2019 17:56:36 +0100
> From: Jimmy Aguilar Mena <address@hidden>
> Cc: Ergus <address@hidden>, address@hidden, address@hidden,
>         address@hidden
>
> >> I have been checking the display engine and the commits to add the
> >> display-line-number functionality. With this, it really looks much
> >> simpler to implement the version of the vertical line (character at
> >> column X).
> >
> >I'm not sure I understand: much simpler than what alternative?
> >
> The color change one.

I don't think it's easier, I think both could be implemented with
similar efforts, and in the same place in the code.  (Caveat: I only
thought a little bit about the implementation, so I might be missing
some important details.)

> BTW, is it there any legal paperwork before contributing?

If you don't have a copyright assignment for contributing to Emacs,
you should start the legal paperwork rolling, so that it's in place by
the time you will have code to contribute.

Thanks.