Re: fractional file timestamps in tramp-adb

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: fractional file timestamps in tramp-adb
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2019 09:33:29 +0100

Paul Eggert <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Paul,

> Older versions of toybox touch mishandle nanoseconds, and perhaps
> you've run into one of those. How about the attached patch, to try
> fractional timestamps (with "Z" for UTC) if it works, and fall back on
> the existing code otherwise? Plus, we can fall back on touch -t for
> hosts that don't yet support POSIX-2008, though that may be overkill
> nowadays.

Looks good. I've pushed it to both Emacs and Tramp repositories, in your
name.

A further improvement could be to check once, after connection is
established, which touch flavor works, and to apply only this
pattern. Otherwise, on non-rooted devices (like my Galaxy S6) all touch
versions are always applied, because they fail at least with "permission
denied".

But I don't know whether this is worth the effort ...

Thanks, and best regards, Michael.