Re: Changing dictionary while flyspell-buffer is running

From: Titus von der Malsburg
Subject: Re: Changing dictionary while flyspell-buffer is running
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2019 22:19:53 +0100

On 2019-02-21 Thu 21:09, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> From: Joost Kremers <address@hidden>
>> Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2019 20:42:21 +0100
>> Cc: Titus von der Malsburg <address@hidden>, address@hidden
>>
>> > Finally, guessing a language is also not 100% correct, especially
>> > when short phrases from some language are inserted into text
>> > written in another language, something that happens a lot in email
>> > correspondence, for example.
>>
>> The method Titus' package employs is quite reliable, IME.
>
> It needs at least 30 letters to guess right, which is quite a few.

The number of letters depends on the configured languages, it could be
less than 30 when the scripts are different but for English, Dutch,
and German 30 works well in my experience and languages don’t get much
more similar than that (except if you want to distinguish between US
English and UK English).

Regarding Hunspell: I agree with Eli that we should consider alternative
solutions such as using Hunspell and multiple dictionaries.  If that
does the job, great!  However, I just tried it and noticed one downside:
Flyspell offers possible corrections for unknown words and when multiple
languages are configured, these suggestions come from all configured
dictionaries.  Many of them are of course not relevant because they are
not in the language of the paragraph.  Flyspell also has an
autocorrection feature (which I’m not using) and this feature would also
largely stop being useful with multiple dictionaries.  I think that this
makes the Hunspell solution less appealing.

  Titus

--
Dr. Titus von der Malsburg
Department of Linguistics