Re: CHECK_STRUCTS/dmpstruct.h mechanism is broken.

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: CHECK_STRUCTS/dmpstruct.h mechanism is broken.
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2019 18:17:44 -0800

On 2/28/19 12:59 PM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> is all this really needed?  Is pdumper.c really that fragile,
> that it can't cope with changes in certain structs?

No, it's not needed, and in my experience the mechanism's costs far
exceed any benefit. Every time it has complained to me, it has been a
false alarm. Conversely, it has not caught any of the mistakes I've made
when making changes that affect the pdumper. So its batting average is
.000 and it's cost me far too much irritation (admittedly minor each
time, but it adds up ...).

The Emacs source code has thousands of interconnections, all of which
have to be just right to get it to work. There is nothing special about
the interconnections to the pdumper that justify this extra level of
bureaucracy.