Re: Emacs i18n

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Emacs i18n
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2019 11:55:15 -0800

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
So you are saying that we should have a single catalog for all the
other .el files, and load it unconditionally in every Emacs session?
That'd waste memory, no?
Assuming we use GNU gettext, it'd consume virtual memory but not as much physical memory, as GNU gettext mmaps the message catalog (using PROT_READ so that it's read-only and the physical data can be shared). Only pages containing actual translations should need to be brought into physical memory (along with the indexes to these pages).

The total amount of virtual memory would depend on the catalog size. A reasonable upper bound for current Emacs master would be 61 MB (the sum of sizes of all of Emacs's .el files). Although 61 MB is nontrivial, there should be little trouble fitting it into virtual memory even on a 32-bit platform.