Re: Emacs i18n

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Emacs i18n
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2019 22:05:31 -0500

  > Russian has three plural forms useful for translating a string that formats
an
  > integer N. One form is for when (N%10 == 1 && N%100/10 != 1), one is for
when (2
  > <= N%10 && N%10 <= 4 && N%100/10 == 1), and one is for everything else. So
the
  > form depends on N, not on whether the translation of the word "items" is
  > masculine or feminine or whatever.

That's how I understood it, and that is exactly what my proposal does.

I will try to explain it again.

Each clause inside numeric-select handles certain numbers.
The car of the clause (in Lispy structure) selects numbers
to handle.

'russian-masc' selects numbers that require a masculine ending, in
Russian.  You use it with a string that contains the masculine ending.

'russian-fem' selects numbers that require a feminine ending, in
Russian.  You use it with a string that contains the feminine ending.

'russian-neut' selects numbers that require a neuter ending, in
Russian.  You use it with a string that contains the neuter ending.

If this does not work, why not?

In the example that was sent, I see code that tests for certain kinds
of numbers.  But since I don't know the language that that is written
in, the mathematical conditions are the only part I understand.  I
don't see what it will _do_ in each of those conditions.  I presume it
selects the appropriate suffix for the number, but I don't follow how
it does so.

--
Dr Richard Stallman