Re: Fill column indicator functionality

From: Johan Bockgård
Subject: Re: Fill column indicator functionality
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2019 16:07:15 +0100

Clément Pit-Claudel <address@hidden> writes:

> On 15/03/2019 10.19, Alp Aker wrote:
>> Would lack of support for variable line heights be an issue?  I can
>> only offer my experience here as the author of fill-column-indicator.
>> Among the many issues that package has, lack of support for variable
>> line heights in a window hasn't been one of them.  It just isn't
>> something users have requested.
>
> It's the main reason why I don't use fci-mode :) I've attached a screenshot.

You can use the "stipple" face feature (on platforms that support it) to
draw a 1 pixel tall repeating bitmap (with some limitations).

##

(require 'fill-column-indicator)

(defface fci-face
  `((t (:foreground
        ,(or fci-rule-character-color fci-rule-color)
        :stipple
        (,(frame-char-width) 1
         ,(string (lsh (1- (expt 2 fci-rule-width))
                       (/ (frame-char-width) 2))
                  0 0 0 0)))))
  "")

(setq fci-always-use-textual-rule t
      fci-rule-character ?\s)

(defadvice fci-make-rule-string (around frob activate)
  (setq ad-return-value
        (propertize (char-to-string fci-rule-character) 'face 'fci-face)))

(fci-mode)

##

Example with big line spacing: