Re: Who uses Icomplete-mode?

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Who uses Icomplete-mode?
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2019 23:08:08 +0200

> Which brings me to a question I've been meaning to ask: who
> here uses Icomplete-mode and just how attached are you to its
> interface?

ido is more intrusive whereas icomplete is just an unobtrusive
addon over the default minibuffer behavior that adds more commands
for “inline completions”, i.e. for browsing completions
without showing the *Completions* window, nothing more fancy.

My only complaint about icomplete is its default keybindings.
I find it more usable with following customization:

  (define-key icomplete-minibuffer-map [(control left)]
             'icomplete-backward-completions)
  (define-key icomplete-minibuffer-map [(control right)]
             'icomplete-forward-completions)
  (define-key icomplete-minibuffer-map [(control return)]
             'icomplete-force-complete-and-exit)