Re: Renaming non-X x_* procedures in xdisp.c (and elsewhere)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Renaming non-X x_* procedures in xdisp.c (and elsewhere)
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2019 18:10:04 +0200

> From: Alex <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2019 09:07:04 -0600
>
> It would be helpful to determine at a glance whether or not a procedure
> is generic or depends on X support.

As a rule of thumb that is 99% true, everything in xdisp.c is generic,
i.e. independent of the terminal-specific implementation.  The
terminal-dependent stuff is in xterm.c/xfns.c (for X),
w32term.c/w32fns.c (for w32), nsterm.m/nsfns.m (for NS), and term.c
(for TTY).

> I'm guessing that this naming scheme is a historical artifact from
> when graphical support meant X support, but I believe that it is
> more confusing than it is worth at this point.
>
> For example, x_write_glyphs could become disp_write_glyphs.

The correct name would be something like gui_write_glyphs, since
there's tty_write_glyphs in term.c.  Although I personally fail to see
how such renaming will help anyone or anything.