Re: gtags/ctags/etags/cscope support?

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: gtags/ctags/etags/cscope support?
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2019 19:45:44 +0100

Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2019 17:06:24 +0100
From: Ergus <address@hidden>

Some days ago Stefan was talking about ebrowse but now it makes me
think.

Between global/gtags/ctags/etags/cscope which of them has been (|| will
be) better supported in emacs. Because there are many packages around
but I can't estimate their popularity.

Is it there any internal support for any of them within emacs? Is the
ggtags package actively maintained?

Because I want to invest some time in one of them to improve the support
for tramp and ivy.

Which of them has more potential in your opinion?

It would indeed be interesting to have a comparison table of features
in one place.  Then we could try to figure out what we want to
support.  I'm guessing no single tool in its current form will do.

The comparison already exist; independently of how accurate it is. There
is a link in the global's page:

https://github.com/oracle/opengrok/wiki/Comparison-with-Similar-Tools

The formats are very similar; and gtags can use ctags if it is set in
compilation time, because the search algorithms in ctags seems to be
apparently more improved.

There is a package for gtags in elpa, but for me it was too
intrusive because most of it's code is to add keybinds and add graphical
windows that I don't use; while the fundamental calls are only less than
10% of the code.

The ctags tool is more frequent to find everywhere because works in vim
out of the box.

The other point is that in case of using tramp it is theoretically
possible to use a remote tags file with the local executable but I am
not "lispy" enough yet to implement such a thing myself from scratch.

I can help with the little I know:

 . etags includes support for many languages (see the list at the end
   of what "etags --help" displays), including some "languages", like
   HTML, which aren't really programming languages.  However, support
   for some of the languages is very basic.  Also, etags is only
   partially useful for C++.

 . ebrowse supports C++, but it wasn't updated for new C++ features
   in a very long time, so it probably is not really up to job
   nowadays.

For inclusion in Emacs, we should also consider whether it will be
possible to get copyright assignment from the contributors.

Thanks.