Re: Help please! To track down GC trying to free an already freed object

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Help please! To track down GC trying to free an already freed object.
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2019 18:04:22 +0300

> Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2019 11:25:37 +0000
> From: Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden>
>
> With GDB, I can break at the creation of this symbol-with-position
> object and again at its (first) freeing with this breakpoint:
>
>     break setup_on_free_list if (v == 0x5555561d0450)
>
> .  However, this isn't helping me to track down the Lisp object which
> still references this symbol-with-position.  I've tried to find the
> address of Emacs's data segment, so as to be able to search through it
> for 0x5555561d0455 in GDB, but this doesn't feel like a very useful
> thing to do.
>
> Could somebody who has experience in this sort of thing please suggest
> how I might proceed with the debugging, or possibly offer me some other
> sort of help or hints.

The usual method of debugging such problems is described in etc/DEBUG,
it basically uses the last_marked[] array.  You start with the object
at last_marked[last_marked_index - 1], and go backwards (in circular
manner), comparing the objects you find in the array with those you
see in the call-stack frames that call mark_* functions.  Just be very
careful when you print the objects; e.g., never use 'pp', because the
function it calls cannot handle marked objects.

If you already tried this, please ask more specific questions.