Re: Comprehensive JSX support in Emacs

From: Jackson Ray Hamilton
Subject: Re: Comprehensive JSX support in Emacs
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2019 08:55:30 -0700

Hi Dmitry,

First of all, thanks for taking the time to review my work. Regarding your comments/questions…

It's probably still worth it to get the feature into master soon.
I agree.  I’ll see if I can tackle the performance issue first, then I’ll rebase/merge the branch into master.

Do you have commit access?
I’m not sure.  If not, will someone please grant it to me?

The colors are very nice to have. Do you think this approach is portable to js2-mode?
Possibly…  js-mode is using font-lock keywords to add the colors, but js2-mode apparently isn’t.  js2-mode would need to pay attention to the js-jsx-* text properties like in js-jsx--font-lock-keywords and apply colors like in the associated matcher functions (js-jsx--match-tag-name, js-jsx--match-attribute-name, et al).

I get the feeling from looking at the js2-mode code that it colors solely according to the AST structure.  Perhaps in the long run, the best solution for that mode will be to extend or replace the ESX parsing with JSX parsing, adding JSXElement nodes to the AST and coloring them along the way, and suppressing JS coloring in the JSXText nodes.

Until someone steps up to add proper JSX parsing to the JS2 AST… perhaps a fusion of the keywords-style and AST-style colorings could provide JSX and JS coloring (respectively) in JS2.

However, there is a noticeable delay when editing some lines in my 1000-line monolith.jsx file,
This sounds a bit worrisome. Slow font-lock rules?
I’ll check for that.  I’m also planning on analyzing the results of elp-instrument-package and doing some step-debugging to deduce where and why it’s lagging.

I’ve already found that it’s lagging when I’m editing a large chunk of JSX code or the code before it.  However, if I edit code in the buffer following the chunk of JSX, then the lag noticeably drops.  You can see this by opening the attached “Slow JSX.jsx” file and editing it.  This might be related to how I extended syntax propertization and font-locking to the boundaries of a root enclosing JSXElement; if a root is hundreds of lines long, there could be negative consequences.  Maybe we can be more conservative with the parsing/coloring, somehow.

Jackson