Re: CHECK_STRUCTS/dmpstruct.h mechanism is broken.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: CHECK_STRUCTS/dmpstruct.h mechanism is broken.
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2019 22:15:47 +0300

> From: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2019 11:31:36 -0700
>
> On 4/11/19 2:35 AM, Robert Pluim wrote:
> > Much as I dislike Autoconf, what would you have us replace it with?
>
> I was thinking of using just standard tools (as per the GNU Coding
> Standards) along with GNU Make - and, once the Emacs core is built, we
> can use Emacs itself. Although we started assuming GNU Make in Emacs 25,
> we haven't been using GNU Make's features fully and some of its features
> could effectively replace the need for Autoconf.

You want to test for system-dependent features with Make?  How does
one do that?  All those HAVE_foo macros in the sources -- how do you
compute them with Make?  Wouldn't we end up with heaps of Make
wizardry only a few understand?

> A benefit of this approach would be faster builds. Right now the biggest
> bottleneck on my system is the time to run 'configure' whenever I make a
> trivial change to configure.ac or whatever. I *hate* that.

IME, the slowest part is byte compilation of Lisp files.  Of course,
that is only a significant factor when you bootstrap or rebuild large
parts of Emacs, but still.