Re: [Emacs-diffs] master d826037 3/3: Remove the need for temacs.in

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master d826037 3/3: Remove the need for temacs.in
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2019 15:35:53 -0400

> Please don't do this. Computing a fingerprint over temacs.in factors link
> layout information into the fingerprint hash. Your approach doesn't. It's
> possible to link Emacs in different ways from the same object files and
> produce different binaries. I don't think a little build speedup is worth
> the safety loss.

BTW, regarding this fingerprint: following this discussion, I see that
we actually don't know for sure what is preserved between two different
runs of `ld` and more to the point, there is no guarantee.

So, how'bout we don't compute a fingerprint at all.

Instead we generate a UUID: this way we can have our cake (no need for
a separate temacs.in) and eat it too (even very subtle changes `ld` does
between two different runs will lead to different "fingerprints").

        Stefan