Re: Using __builtin_expect (likely/unlikely macros)

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Using __builtin_expect (likely/unlikely macros)
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2019 09:57:14 -0700

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Sure, but the effect on code readability also multiplies, right?

Yes, of course one must weigh cost and benefits. In this case the patch not only improved performance, it also made the code smaller and in my opinion more readable: the total source code size shrank by 1775 bytes. Source-code improvements add up too, and we should encourage them even if they're small, as they are a welcome partial antidote to the bloat that often afflicts older software projects.