Re: [RFE] Migration to gitlab

From: Toon Claes
Subject: Re: [RFE] Migration to gitlab
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2019 09:52:48 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> TBH, I don't think I personally understand what "adding such a
> workflow" entails.  Maybe I just wasn't following the related
> discussions (sorry), or maybe no one described the workflow in enough
> detail yet.

No problem. There has been a lot going on. But you're having a valid
point, people were assuming everyone know what this workflow
entails. Let me briefly describe it.

Instead of email patches, people push their changes in a feature or
topic branch. This usually happens on "fork" of the project (basically a
git clone on the remote system), so the branches will not exist in
canonical repo. Then a so-called Merge Request (or Pull Request) is
created. This feature generates the diff between the topic branch and
the target branch in canonical repo. The maintainers can then review the
changes, add comments at specific lines, or comments in general. The
contributor can address these by pushing changes to the topic
branch. The diff on the Merge Request page will update automatically and
the review cycle can repeat until the maintainer is happy. When they are
happy, they can push a button to apply the changes and the contribution
is done.

--
Toon