Re: isearch region or thing at point.

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: isearch region or thing at point.
Date: Sat, 4 May 2019 16:56:36 +0200

On Sat, May 04, 2019 at 07:17:50AM -0700, Drew Adams wrote:
This patch has changed a lot because some others made suggestions I
considered useful. I will attach the new patch in another mail.

On the other hand it makes sense that M-w should be used in case the
user wants to add the text in the minibuffer to the kill-ring.
(Something like isearchp-kill-ring-save)

So maybe M-r (region) or M-i (insert) must be used for what I propose
and Drew may add the isearch-kill-ring-save function he wrote and bind
it to M-w. That way there will be all the copy functionalities in place.

I would prefer that, yes.  `M-w' to copy to the
kill-ring (as usual).

Do you need an actual patch to include the command
I sent, or can you please just include it (renaming
prefix `isearchp-' to `isearch-')?

But then we must recommend bind M-r or M-i (or whatever) for similar
functionalities. And if possible correct other modes to be consistent
with that (if that does not start a religious war here please).

There are similar modes with commands to copy text from region into
minibuffer and all them use different bindings. I just propose to unify
that somehow when possible.

Sorry, I don't know what you mean, there.  `M-r' is
(and has long been) `isearch-toggle-regexp'.

Sorry, I forgot that, So the only alternative is M-i.

I will try to do the same for replace-like commands.

(Not sure what you mean by that, either.)

When region is active; replace-string (and related) limits the replaces
to the active region. But alternatively we could provide a simple hint
that inserts the region text into minibuffer and deactivate it, so
instead of limiting the replace to the region, the region can be used as
the string to replace.

M-w M-% C-y RET => M-% M-i

Or similar.