Re: [ELPA] New package: bnf-mode

From: Serghei Iakovlev
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: bnf-mode
Date: Mon, 06 May 2019 21:57:06 +0300

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> No, Emacs Wiki has a wrong mode. For more see my comments here:
>> https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/b1lyyf/gnu_emacs_major_mode_for_editing_bnf_grammars/
>> <https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/b1lyyf/gnu_emacs_major_mode_for_editing_bnf_grammars/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app>
>>
>> And no guys, ebnf2ps does not provide syntax locking for BNF grammar
>
> ebnf2ps doesn't provide a mode at all.  The mention of ebnf wasn't meant
> as "an alternative" to your mode, but rather I think as a suggestion
> for why your mode might be useful (i.e. as a complement to ebnf2ps).
>
> While looking at adding it to GNU ELPA I saw that you apparently haven't
> yet signed the corresponding paperwork.  IOW the next step is to fill
> the form below and email it to the FSF as instructed so they can send
> you the relevant paperwork to sign.
>

>         Stefan "still wondering what you use your mode for"

I use this mode for various experiments with languages.  In particular,
I do research in the field of creating a programming language called
Zephir.  I needed to get a formal description of the language and
this is exactly where I used the BNF.  This description (I prefer
"specification" word) used during systems analysis and requirements
analysis.

> Please email the following information to address@hidden, and we
> will send you the assignment form for your past and future changes.
>
> Please use your full legal name (in ASCII characters) as the subject
> line of the message.
> REQUEST: SEND FORM FOR PAST AND FUTURE CHANGES
>
> [What is the name of the program or package you're contributing to?]
> Emacs
>
> [Did you copy any files or text written by someone else in these changes?
> Even if that material is free software, we need to know about it.]
>

> [Do you have an employer who might have a basis to claim to own
> your changes?  Do you attend a school which might make such a claim?]
>

> [For the copyright registration, what country are you a citizen of?]
>

> [What year were you born?]
>

> [Please write your email address here.]
>

> [Please write your postal address here.]
>

> [Which files have you changed so far, and which new files have you written
> so far?]

I'll do this ASAP.

Thank you,
Serghei